Thursday, June 16, 2011

Days 30-31 ~ Three Counties

The past two days were my last days at the Three Counties Equine Hospital. I continued my routine of helping out in every way I could from scrubbing buckets, sweeping/cleaning the yard and exam rooms, keeping stalls skipped out, and various other tasks. Yesterday, I helped out in radiology taking radiographs of a horse's elbow and another horse's Dorsal Spinous Processes. I even got to see the shock-wave machine in use on a horse's right for suspensory ligament - that was cool (and the doctor who did it is THE doctor for the Australian Olympic Equestrian team! Even though he's British, he's one of the best and they fly him all around the world to every Olympics - most recently Hong Kong, WEG, and he'll be at next summer's 2012 London Olympics. COOL! I've been able to meet some really spectacular people). Today, I watched some lameness examination and a ligament scan on "Archie" a four year old stallion who cut his right fore digital flexor tendon on a gate. He has massive inflammation of the fetlock joint and bulbs due to bone spurs. The ultra-sound looked really awesome, especially when we compared the injured right leg with he OK left leg. It was sad saying goodbye to the people at Three Counties, but I might meet up with some of them next week to go see a movie! That would be cool.
This morning, for breakfast, I braved up and tried my first baked beans on toast breakfast! They eat baked beans of everything over here!!! It wasn't actually that bad, I think I'll try it again next week. Then tonight, after helping to clean the yard at Hartpury, I ate super and chilled with Tina and Kristin as we discussed a little about our upcoming London adventure this weekend. I'm so excited! I'll be accomplishing many new things such as staying in a hostel, doing more sight seeing (Tower of London, crown jewels, Westminster Cathedral, maybe St. Paul's, Harrods, Royal Cavalry Museum, etc.), and shopping! We will leave to go into Gloucester to catch our coach after I get back from the fair tomorrow! So, all in all this will be a grand 3-day weekend and then, I'll only have one week left (which will be spent with the pigs, sheep, and cows ~ woo hoo!!!) Wow, what a great trip! Thanks for reading, and I hope that the weather holds up over here. I can't wait to return to the warmth and humidity (I know I'm crazy), and the love of my family and friends. See you soon!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that your experience has been so fulfilling!! I'm sorry you did not get to the show, but you still have that London visit. =)

    I read somewhere that Harry and William love the beans on toast breakfast...you now have had a "royal breakfast."

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad you are finally having a great time! Your descriptions of your experiences are great! Are you leaning towards vet school?We're out to lunch on the royal breakfast thing.......Have fun in London!!Love ya..mom an dad

    ReplyDelete