Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 38 ~ Pig Unit and Dairy Barn

I got to sleep in a little bit this morning! I did not have to be at the pig unit until 7:30. When I got there, I helped clean out and feed the sow pens, then I watched Tom AI two sows. That was really cool because they stand very still and rigid in the presence of the boar and then you just slip the insemination rod in, attach the bag of semen and then vua-la! Tom is a really good pig man and he knows his stuff. He too is very good at explaining things and answering all of my questions, a very friendly lad (only 22 y/o, no farming background whatsoever, but took the initiative to raise a few of his own pigs, found a great interest in them and has taught himself a lot by reading books and working on pig farms. He also has a lot of great ideas on how to raise pigs and better the market - a real entrepreneur he is/will be! Very encouraging and inspirational.) After feeding more pigs, I left the unit to have a bite of lunch in the refractory (beans and chips!) before I met with Gilly - the lady who originally came to Wilson College and who told me about Hartpury and introduced this internship opportunity. I told her how much I have been learning and seeing and about the great experience I've had. Then, she took my picture!!! AHHH!!! I was still dressed in my pig clothes and smelled awful, and now my face is going to be on the website, great. After our meeting, I headed back up to the dairy barns to help with the afternoon milking and feeding the calves. Then, they let me lose on the four-wheeler and I turned the cows out! I suppose these "modern horses" will do, and it was nice to drive again and tear around in the fields! At the end of the day, I trudged back through the valley to reach the refractory for dinner, and am now relaxing in my room going to watch a movie. Some new people are moving into my dormitory. I only have 4 days left! WOW!

Here are some pig pictures!
Frank! The Pig Unit Pet - well, until he gets big enough for bacon :) he greets me every morning and follows me around until I rub his belly

The sows!

Artificial Insemination of a sow

An empty farrowing unit

Why hello there!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great day today! The pigs sound like a fun thing to be working with! Looking forward to seeing you in 4 days!! It does sound like you are having amazing learning opportunities there, soak them up!!! Love you...mom an dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poster girl!! WTG! I'm so happy you have such a great experience. You have gained so much in such a short time...good for you! I'm hoping you will be an inspiration for others to think about going abroad for internships...Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete