Monday, June 6, 2011

Days 20-21 ~ LONDON!!!

Yesterday could be considered an emotional roller coaster. I have been looking forward to this day-trip to London for weeks now! I paid 5 pounds to take a Hartpury bus with some other girls into London. I was the first one to arrive at the meeting point to catch the bus when a lady walked up and asked if I was taking the bus into London. I said yes and she proceeded to tell me that the trip was cancelled due to the bus driver's mother having to be rushed to the hospital. Unfortunately, no back-up driver existed. My dreams and day plans were shattered. As I told the other 8 people who were to go on the trip that it was cancelled, they too were very disappointed. Still, not to be hindered, two other girls (Tina and Kristin) were determined to go into London. So we checked out bus tickets online from Gloucester to Victoria Station, found one that was leaving at 10:30 AM and would return at 9:30 PM and quickly booked a two-way trip for only 26 pounds! I was kind of surprised. My London trip was a go!!! The bus ride took 3 hours, but when we arrived we gained our bearings, met up with Tina's boyfriend, and proceeded to see the sights. We saw lots of things as we wandered around the city such as the giant arch, Buckingham Palace and gardens, the Thames river, The Eye (giant ferris wheel), Big Ben, Parliament and Westminster Abby, Westminster Cathedral, and Westminster Bridge! We ate lunch on a boat on the Thames. Just as we finished our lunch it began to rain - the English weather finally caught up with us. We proceeded to walk around until we were drenched and had to find shelter for four hours until our bus was to leave to take us back to Gloucester. We arrived back at Gloucester at 12:30 AM where one of our friends graciously picked us up and brought us back to Hartpury. We fell into our dorm rooms exhausted but incredibly pleased with our journey. We can't wait to return for an entire weekend in 2 weeks (June 17th-19th)! Here are some pictures:
Me on the coach bus to London!!!

Yes, the famous double-decker red bus!

a cool building

lots of cool building! The entire city looks like these buildings! so clean and beautiful!

TAXI!!!

Mail box!

TELEPHONE BOOTH!!

An original mini-car

cool soldier guy

The arch

Buckingham Palace Gates

AAAAAHHHHH!!! I died for this picture!!!

Buckingham Palace



This picture is for my Princess-Diana-Devoted Father :) love ya daddy

The Royal Cavalry Museum!

He was REAL!!!

He was real too! His horse stood so still for so long!

Tina, Kristin, Me, the Eye

Big Ben Himself

Westminster Abbey

Chillin' out the rain, "I'm not stressed"

I got a lot of souvenirs bought this trip around so I was very excited! Then today, I had a very good day. Not only is it my half-way mark, but I got an excellent rating from my supervisor on my internship evaluation! I'm glad they like me here :) I did go back to Student Services and get my 5 pounds back for the disappointing original London trip. At work, I followed a vet around the main yard and we microchipped a horse for it's passport (in the UK every horse is required to have a passport/registration), and looked a a horse for a swelled salivary gland. Then Tilly and I did a demonstration of the aqua-fit for a group of trustees. After lunch, I bought a Hartpury College sweatshirt and some stamps to mail post cards home. Back at work, I had a great riding lesson on the cutest pony named Raider (I'll have to take his picture and post it for you all). Then Tilly and I used this awesome Zamar machine on Jerry's legs. He has swelling in his legs and the Zamar machine is a gel-wrap that gets as cold at -5.0 degrees Celsius! It's a more efficient (and 8,000 pounds more expensive) treatment.

Pretty cool stuff, eh?
After this, Stef and I had an exciting venture at my first long-reining lesson! One would observe driving and think it to be very easy, but it is NOT! It takes great mind and hand coordination which will take me a few tries to master! Using a little pony named Charlie, we hooked him up to a surcingle and two lunge lines and drove him around the arena. By directing him with the outside rein and keeping him moving with the inside rein, I steered him around at walk and trot. I need much more practice! (Keeping in mind that I can't get too close to him in case I get kicked!) Anyway, it was a fantastic lesson and I am excited for tomorrow! The pace of today was very relaxed and continuous. It was greatly appreciated. After work, I skyped with Grant, Mom, and Dad, then met a bunch of other international students to go out to dinner at an Indian restaurant in Gloucester, then skyped with Brad. It's been a very busy but good day. It's midnight now, so I think I'll hit the hay!


2 comments:

  1. Great pictures Kacie! It looks like London was really fun! It also sounds like you're learning a lot of cool stuff!!I really liked the picture of you with the palace guard, and the still horse under the arch! Praying for you! love you....mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your trip to London! You are really getting to see and do a lot in regards to your field of training! Interestingly enough (or so i think) I had a similar treatment (the gel wrap) after I had knee surgery. The care of animals and the care of humans have so many commonalities. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete